2.6.15.6 on G5/1.8 (9,1)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Mar 12 10:25:29 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 21:00 -0500, Keith Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bunch of different powermac machines that I am trying to
> upgrade and/or install and am having some difficulty with the 1.8 (9,1)
> powermacs as well as the newer Dual Core (2.0) machines.  The other two
> types of machines that I have seem to be working well enough (Dual-Proc
> 2.0, Dual-Proc 2.7 -- Both 7,3).
>
> Originally the systems were running a beta version of Yellowdog that had
> a custom kernel based on 2.6.12.3.  That kernel works great on all of
> the machines except the dual core which doesn't work at all with the
> kernel (no surprise).  When YDL 4.1 came out (with a kernel based on
> 2.6.15-rc5 plus some patches) I wanted to upgrade to that and have the
> same image on all of the machines.  The hope was that the 1.8ghz-single
> machines would get thermal support and I would get rudimentary support
> for the dual core machine.  I want to have the same load on all of the
> machines to make my job easier (since I have 30+ machines total to keep
> running).  But... The stock YDL kernel does not work so well on the
> 1.8ghz-single machines.... I am able to install the distribution on
> these machines and reboot.  The system will stay up for something like
> 30 seconds and then it freezes and shows:

I'm not sure what's up there but could you try 2.6.16-rc6 ? It should be
working on both machines types and have working thermal control for both
too.

> hen I tried to use the stock 2.6.15.6 kernel that I d/l'd from
> kernel.org.  At first I tried to use the 'arch/powerpc/g5_defconfig' but
> that wouldn't compile, so I tried 'arch/powerpc/ppc64_defconfig' and
> that didn't compile either (same error).

Weird... from the error you copied below, it smells like you are hitting
a gcc bug. I really wonder why the compiler would try to use a floating
point register to genetate that altivec code. In the meantime, disable
RAID6 support, and report to YDL so they can maybe try to update their
gcc