2.6.15.6 on G5/1.8 (9,1)

Keith Mitchell kamitch at cisco.com
Tue Mar 14 02:39:03 EST 2006

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 21:00 -0500, Keith Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a bunch of different powermac machines that I am trying to
>> upgrade and/or install and am having some difficulty with the 1.8 (9,1)
>> powermacs as well as the newer Dual Core (2.0) machines.  The other two
>> types of machines that I have seem to be working well enough (Dual-Proc
>> 2.0, Dual-Proc 2.7 -- Both 7,3).
>>
>> Originally the systems were running a beta version of Yellowdog that had
>> a custom kernel based on 2.6.12.3.  That kernel works great on all of
>> the machines except the dual core which doesn't work at all with the
>> kernel (no surprise).  When YDL 4.1 came out (with a kernel based on
>> 2.6.15-rc5 plus some patches) I wanted to upgrade to that and have the
>> same image on all of the machines.  The hope was that the 1.8ghz-single
>> machines would get thermal support and I would get rudimentary support
>> for the dual core machine.  I want to have the same load on all of the
>> machines to make my job easier (since I have 30+ machines total to keep
>> running).  But... The stock YDL kernel does not work so well on the
>> 1.8ghz-single machines.... I am able to install the distribution on
>> these machines and reboot.  The system will stay up for something like
>> 30 seconds and then it freezes and shows:
>>

> I'm not sure what's up there but could you try 2.6.16-rc6 ? It should be
> working on both machines types and have working thermal control for both
> too.

It looks like 2.6.16-rc6 works fine on my single 1.8 systems.

BTW is there any equivalent to the "server_mode" that the PMU driver
provides that will setup the system so that it will auto-poweron on a
power failure?  Or does this need to be setup still in MacOS before
installing linux on the machine?

Thanks.