creating PCI-related sysfs entries

linas linas at austin.ibm.com
Thu Feb 2 08:35:46 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:48:52PM -0700, Grant Grundler was heard to remark:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:08:05PM -0600, linas wrote:
> > Related to the PCI error recovery. I'm not sure how to conceptually
> > peg this: one could say that it is the driver for a specific type
> > of pci-host bridge, although the code is not currently structured
> > as such. Should I try to restructure it as such? If so, I'm not
> > clear on how to proceed; I can't say I've clearly seen a kernel
> > abstraction of a pci-host bridge device onto which to staple myself.
>
> AFAIK, no pci-host device abstraction exists.
> Each arch deals with pci-host bridges as it sees fit.
>
> But access methods to some PCI features are abstracted:
> o method access to CFG space
> o method to register IRQs
> o advertise MMIO/IO Port routing.
>
> Sounds like you want to add another method for error recovery
> stats/control.

Actually, the "recovery" part is already (mostly) in mainline,
See Documentation/pci-error-recovery.txt

What's hanging out are patches to specific device drivers, which have
been submitted, but haven't been accepted.

Another issue is that there's no implementation at this time for
any arch other than powerpc, although the latest pci express bridges
support this function in principle.

--linas