spufs: User space thread library

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Thu Oct 6 01:03:44 EST 2005

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Dinsdag 04 Oktober 2005 03:18, Geoff Levand wrote:
>
>>OK, I set up an autoconf based build system.  I moved some things
>>around to make coding the makefiles easier.  I also found a conflict
>>with the system's spe.h, so renamed that file.
>

> We have found the same problem independently and already changed to
> 'libspe.h'. The contents of the current 'mfc.h' will be merged into
> that as well.
>

>>I put the results here:
>>

> http://tree.celinuxforum.org/downloads/libspe-0.9-autoconf-05.10.03.18.0
> 1.19.tar.bz2
>
>>Its just a first cut.  I think more work is needed in setting up
>>the spu compiler.  Also, more work is needed to make the scripts
>>in the tools directory use the host's cross toolchain.
>

> Actually, I thought of using only autoconf, but not automake and
> libtool.
> We don't really have a complicated setup, so I'd prefer to avoid the
> extra overhead from those tools.
>
> Do you see a strong reason to use them?

It makes maintenance of both the build system and the distribution
packaging easier by providing higher level abstractions and
standard behavior.  There are weaknesses with automake and
libtool, but those are well known.  At any rate, its your
package, just use what you find useful.

What 'extra overhead' are you concerned about?

-Geoff