spufs: User space thread library

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Oct 6 08:23:23 EST 2005

On Middeweken 05 Oktober 2005 17:03, Geoff Levand wrote:

> It makes maintenance of both the build system and the distribution
> packaging easier by providing higher level abstractions and
> standard behavior.  There are weaknesses with automake and
> libtool, but those are well known.  At any rate, its your
> package, just use what you find useful.
>
> What 'extra overhead' are you concerned about?

The overhead I see is in debugging the stuff when it doesn't work.
Autoconf can be hard to debug already, but I think that's worth it
because most users know how to run ./configure rather than having
to look at the Makefiles. I definitely like your configure.ac
file and the reordering of the files.

For the other autotools, I think they make work harder instead of
easier for small projects, so I'd rather do simple Makefile.in
files in the places that need configuration.

BTW: Are you ok with licensing your configure.ac under LGPL
instead of GPL or did you copy parts from some other GPL package?
IMHO, the files in the package all need have the same license
for simplicity.

	Arnd <><