G5 (SMU) loss of keyboard/mouse

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Nov 17 07:58:08 EST 2005

>   Indeed, it does.  Last night I had the box locked (monolithic kernel
> cross-compiled and put onto ubuntu 'server' install, static ip
> brought up with ifconfig), ok until I keyed <ESC><:> in vim at which
> point it slowly flooded the screen with ':' characters and was no longer
> responding to pings.  That was repeatable.
>
>   Today, recompiled the kernel without sound and it was up for over an
> hour on the same ubuntu system, no problems.  Now, I've applied this
> kernel to fedora and it looks good (up for 30 minutes so far, dhcp
> worked, replying via ssh to my server).
>
>   So, very usable without sound.  I'll make yet another install of
> something I'm more comfortable with (cross-LFS, with latest udev) in a
> day or two, then I can play with the post-2.6.14 changes (fans,
> cpufreq).  Thanks again.

This is strange as the sound driver isn't expected to initialize at all
on this model since it doesn't recognize it. Or maybe alsa was trying to
load a bogus module ?

Also, be careful with parport, remove it from your /lib/modules. Things
like CPUS tend to cause it to load and it will render your kernel
unstable.