G5 (SMU) loss of keyboard/mouse

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 17 09:15:17 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> This is strange as the sound driver isn't expected to initialize at all
> on this model since it doesn't recognize it. Or maybe alsa was trying to
> load a bogus module ?

  On the versions of 2.6.14.2 that I've built for this, there are no
modules.  The distro kernels certainly seem to have loaded modules for
alsa.  The differences between my 2.6.14.2 which dies, and the one which
works fine are _only_ (a) all g5 sound options built in | no sound, and
(b) default keyboard | add AT keyboard in the input device support (the
box is on a KVM switch).  Oh, and my configs are based on the
g5_defconfig, but changed to all built in, and using the nvidia fb.

  Looking in the logs, the bad 2.6.14.2 has

kernel: ALSA device list:
   #0: PowerMac AWACS Rev 0

  lspci output attached, in case it isn't as expected.

> Also, be careful with parport, remove it from your /lib/modules. Things
> like CPUS tend to cause it to load and it will render your kernel
> unstable.

  Checked for parport in my .config after your first reply, but it isn't
there.

Ken