G5 (SMU) loss of keyboard/mouse

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 17 04:11:37 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> The problems you are reporting look strangely similar to what was
> reported by a iMac G5 rev 2 (PowerMac8,2) user. Strangely, the
> PowerMac8,1 that I have here (iMac G5 rev 1) seem to be rock solid.
>
> Is the kernel trying to load the alsa driver ? Does it help not loading
> it at all ?

  Indeed, it does.  Last night I had the box locked (monolithic kernel
cross-compiled and put onto ubuntu 'server' install, static ip
brought up with ifconfig), ok until I keyed <ESC><:> in vim at which
point it slowly flooded the screen with ':' characters and was no longer
responding to pings.  That was repeatable.

  Today, recompiled the kernel without sound and it was up for over an
hour on the same ubuntu system, no problems.  Now, I've applied this
kernel to fedora and it looks good (up for 30 minutes so far, dhcp
worked, replying via ssh to my server).

  So, very usable without sound.  I'll make yet another install of
something I'm more comfortable with (cross-LFS, with latest udev) in a
day or two, then I can play with the post-2.6.14 changes (fans,
cpufreq).  Thanks again.

Ken