RTAS error log sequence numbers

Jake Moilanen moilanen at austin.ibm.com
Fri Nov 5 04:04:52 EST 2004

> > On reboot we get the same 1-37 error logs then the last one at 43. Maybe
> > we dont care about persistent error log numbers but I thought Id check
> > that the tools handle it OK.
>
> I assume you mean "unique error log numbers" that are monotinically
> increasing across boots.  This would require moving nvram_init to
> very early in the boot sequence, since rtas errors can occur very early.
> I'll volunteer to do this shuffle, as long as there is no objection
> in principle.
>
> I don't have much of a feel for the pro's and con's of this.

As long as nvram_init is called after pSeries/pmac_nvram_init, there
should not be an issue.  In fact you could just as easily call
nvram_init() at the end of pSeries/pmac_nvram_init().

You also need to add a set of the error_log_cnt from nvram (and remove
it from nvram_read_error_log).  Currently we set the error_log_count
when rtasd starts up, which may be after the first log_error.

The user-level daemons (ELA and rtas_errd) were supposed to be able to
handle duplicate sequence numbers since there are situations where we
can not guarantee a unique sequence number.

Jake