RTAS error log sequence numbers

Nathan Fontenot nfont at austin.ibm.com
Fri Nov 5 04:08:14 EST 2004

Linas Vepstas wrote:
> I assume you mean "unique error log numbers" that are monotinically
> increasing across boots.  This would require moving nvram_init to
> very early in the boot sequence, since rtas errors can occur very early.
> I'll volunteer to do this shuffle, as long as there is no objection
> in principle.
>
> I don't have much of a feel for the pro's and con's of this.

You would to also need to initialize the error log count by either
reading the last RTAS event stored in nvram or starting the rtasd
kernel daemon, before anyone calls log_error().

Moving this to earlier in the boot sequence would be nice but I'm not
sure its worth the effort.  Is there any way to garauntee that this is
done vefore anyone calls log_error()?

-Nathan F.