RTAS error log sequence numbers

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Fri Nov 5 03:38:00 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 02:50:32AM +1100, Anton Blanchard was heard to remark:

> Hi,
>
> We can end up reusing RTAS error log sequence numbers - by calling
> log_error out of rtas_call before we have done nvram_init. eg on a p630

Curiously, nvram_init happens late in the boot sequence.  I'm not sure
why, other than the application of the principle "move things as
late into the boot sequence as possible."

> On reboot we get the same 1-37 error logs then the last one at 43. Maybe
> we dont care about persistent error log numbers but I thought Id check
> that the tools handle it OK.

I assume you mean "unique error log numbers" that are monotinically
increasing across boots.  This would require moving nvram_init to
very early in the boot sequence, since rtas errors can occur very early.
I'll volunteer to do this shuffle, as long as there is no objection
in principle.

I don't have much of a feel for the pro's and con's of this.

--linas