RTAS error log sequence numbers

Nathan Fontenot nfont at austin.ibm.com
Fri Nov 5 03:34:38 EST 2004

Anton Blanchard wrote:

> On reboot we get the same 1-37 error logs then the last one at 43. Maybe
> we dont care about persistent error log numbers but I thought Id check
> that the tools handle it OK.

Yes, the tools (namely rtas_errd) handle this just fine.  The tools
aren't reaaly concerned about the log number, its more for end users to
track RTAS events.

The error log count isn't initialized until the rtasd kernel daemon
starts and reads the last event stored in nvram.  This is why the count
starts to look sane after rtasd starts.  We could put code in
to initialize the error log count earlier if people really want it, I
don't think its really neccessary though.