PCI errors [was Re: "sparse" warnings..]

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Wed May 5 10:58:24 EST 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:51:17PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > First is the cultural problem: If this is percieved to be a ppc64
> > stunt, no one will be interested.  If this technology shows up on
> > non-ppc64 platforms
>
> It's going to show up on non-ppc64 platforms, as PCI Express supports
> this kind of error reporting.  Or so Intel has told me.

Yes, well, I tried to investigate this a bit after your last note.
I went through the PCI Express spec, couldn't find it.  Found something
suggestive in one of the chapters (chapter 6.2) but it seemed
unrelated.  A post to LKML was lost at sea, and the Intel contact
never answered back.   I got nervous about the Intel contact: the
goal was not to give other industry competitors a heads-up about
some neat hardware idea that we have and they don't.

A TBD for me is to track down some PCI Express experts and talk
to them & I haven't done that yet.  Any additonal pointers
appreciated.

> Not PCI-X, PCI Express.

My bad.

--linas