PCI errors [was Re: "sparse" warnings..]

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed May 5 05:51:17 EST 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 02:25:59PM -0500, linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 11:15:01AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 May 2004 linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> > > extended error handling, a way of reporting PCI bus errors that would
> > > otherwise cause machine-checks.
> >
> > So what was wrong with the suggested interface, ie having something like
>
> I missed out on the chain of emails where this was suggested.

What about the long chain of emails between me and Paul about what to do
with this?  I thought we had come to an agreement as to what is needed
to do.  And it was not arch dependant the last I remember...

> First is the cultural problem: If this is percieved to be a ppc64
> stunt, no one will be interested.  If this technology shows up on
> non-ppc64 platforms

It's going to show up on non-ppc64 platforms, as PCI Express supports
this kind of error reporting.  Or so Intel has told me.

> I've been told conflicting things about non-ppc64 hardware; I picked
> through the next generation PCI-X spec, but couldn't find anything
> comparable.  I'm not a PCI expert, its not clear to me what's going
> there.

Not PCI-X, PCI Express.  Two totally different things.  Yeah, it's a
pain to try to keep them apart when talking to people, I know.

thanks,

greg k-h