PCI errors [was Re: "sparse" warnings..]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Wed May 5 06:22:12 EST 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004 linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> The above is fine for any 'fully EEH aware device driver', and should
> be the interface used.  However, it requires modifications to the device
> driver.  There's two problems with that.

No, there's one major reason for it: the device driver requires changes
anyway.

Device drivers that don't know about error handling can't do anything sane
about it anyway, so for them the errors should just be ignored. Maybe
logged, but as far as the driver is concerned, it never happened. That's
why I'd want the error checking to have to be explicit - we should never
do anything if the driver doesn't explicitly agree with it.

		Linus