extreme RTAS printks

Olof Johansson olof at austin.ibm.com
Wed Feb 11 04:18:57 EST 2004

David Boutcher wrote:

> OK, but is there any way to make them more meaningful than a hex dump?  No
> user is going to take any action on a hex dump, and there is no way of
> differentiating bad hardware from some mild informational log.  I know the
> kernel doesn't decode these things, but can you at least get a serverity or
> a classification or something?

Hmm, there's a userspace package that's used to parse all that info. I
don't know enough about the internal binary format, but I'd think that
there's severity levels to it. Maybe we can have a threshold for what
gets printed at boot and not?

Mike, got any insight to share? :-)

-Olof

--
Olof Johansson                                        Office: 4F005/905
pSeries Linux Development                             IBM Systems Group