extreme RTAS printks

David Boutcher boutcher at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 11 04:18:00 EST 2004

owner-linuxppc64-dev at lists.linuxppc.org wrote on 02/09/2004 09:59:04 PM:
> I think killing it completely is a bad idea. There are times when a
> machine has bad hardware, but good enough to boot halfway up. Getting the
> error messages then could be very helpful. Likewise, at runtime the RTAS
> messages are also useful since they'd show up on the console (and in the
> dmesg output in kdb).

OK, but is there any way to make them more meaningful than a hex dump?  No
user is going to take any action on a hex dump, and there is no way of
differentiating bad hardware from some mild informational log.  I know the
kernel doesn't decode these things, but can you at least get a serverity or
a classification or something?

Dave Boutcher
IBM Linux Technology Center