extreme RTAS printks

Hollis Blanchard hollisb at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 11 04:18:11 EST 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 9:59 PM, olof at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>
>> Could we *please* kill printk_log_rtas()? This data is available via
>> /proc files; there is no need to spam our boot logs with it.
>
> I think killing it completely is a bad idea. There are times when a
> machine has bad hardware, but good enough to boot halfway up. Getting
> the
> error messages then could be very helpful.

Doesn't the service processor log such hardware errors for exactly this
reason?

> Likewise, at runtime the RTAS
> messages are also useful since they'd show up on the console (and in
> the
> dmesg output in kdb).

So you're saying you *do* want to see hex dumps? Printing 64 lines of
hex to a console you're actually trying to use I think is much worse
even than getting it at boot time.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center