extreme RTAS printks

Olof Johansson olof at austin.ibm.com
Wed Feb 11 04:25:44 EST 2004

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>> I think killing it completely is a bad idea. There are times when a
>> machine has bad hardware, but good enough to boot halfway up. Getting the
>> error messages then could be very helpful.
>
> Doesn't the service processor log such hardware errors for exactly this
> reason?

I thought the SP only logged checkstops and other severe errors. Or does
it log ECC parity errors/corrections and other "minor" problems too?

>> Likewise, at runtime the RTAS
>> messages are also useful since they'd show up on the console (and in the
>> dmesg output in kdb).
>

> So you're saying you *do* want to see hex dumps? Printing 64 lines of
> hex to a console you're actually trying to use I think is much worse
> even than getting it at boot time.

If you're getting the RTAS messages on the console, the machine is
likely going to be unstable anyway. Would you prefer it to be quiet and
not warn at all?

Also, the data needs to be accessible from a debugger, be it via dmesg
or in other ways. Hex is much better than nothing at all.

-Olof

--
Olof Johansson                                        Office: 4F005/905
pSeries Linux Development                             IBM Systems Group