extreme RTAS printks

olof at austin.ibm.com olof at austin.ibm.com
Tue Feb 10 14:59:04 EST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

> Could we *please* kill printk_log_rtas()? This data is available via
> /proc files; there is no need to spam our boot logs with it.

I think killing it completely is a bad idea. There are times when a
machine has bad hardware, but good enough to boot halfway up. Getting the
error messages then could be very helpful. Likewise, at runtime the RTAS
messages are also useful since they'd show up on the console (and in the
dmesg output in kdb).

But, as you said, at boot time there's normally limited use for them. If
they're killed, I want to see a command line option to enable them if
needed. I also don't think that post-boot output should be removed at all.

-Olof

Olof Johansson                                        Office: 4E002/905
Linux on Power Development                            IBM Systems Group
Email: olof at austin.ibm.com                          Phone: 512-838-9858
All opinions are my own and not those of IBM