Kernel startup problems on p630

VAKKALANKA RAO Sridhar SVakkalankarao at covansys.com
Fri Jun 6 14:47:16 EST 2003

> > The point in the boot process where you see this message is a difficult
> > spot to draw any conclusions on what the actual error is.  There is
> > quite a bit of code that runs after this message, and before the next
> > one.  Therefore it is not clear to me what might be occuring.  The only
> > problem I am aware of on a p630 involving firmware levels requires you
> > to be running in LPAR mode, and I do not belive this would be the
> > symptom.

I am sorry, Dave. Please elaborate what you said. By default, all POWER4 machines (which the p630 is) have LPAR implemented on them. So I assumed that my machine was indeed running in LPAR mode - I am not aware that a p630 can be run without LPAR mode. Are you saying that the firmware needs to be configured to enable LPAR mode? Please reply.

> What level of firmware are you running?  Is there anything in the
> service processor error logs?

The firmware level I am running is RR030324. The firmware level on which the binary ran successfully is RR021114.

Thanks again for your help.
Sri