Kernel startup problems on p630

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Sat Jun 7 00:45:30 EST 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 10:17:16AM +0530, VAKKALANKA  RAO Sridhar wrote:

> I am sorry, Dave. Please elaborate what you said. By default, all POWER4 machines (which the p630 is) have LPAR implemented on them. So I assumed that my machine was indeed running in LPAR mode - I am not aware that a p630 can be run without LPAR mode. Are you saying that the firmware needs to be configured to enable LPAR mode? Please reply.

There's a non-LPAR mode, commonly referedd to as 'SMP mode', where the LPAR
features aren't used.   In this case, you can run only one operating system
on the thing, and *all* of the hardware belongs to that OS.

You get into LPAR mode only if you use 'HMC' the Hardware management Console,
the GUI/graphical thing, to create several LPAR's and assign only a fraction
of the total hardware to each partition.

Some people don't want/need the multiple OS'es, and so don't run in
'LPAR mode'.   Sometimes, firmware and/or hardware bugs behave differently
depending on which mode you're in.

--linas