[RFC] JS20 IDE perf patch

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Dec 17 10:23:16 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 02:59, Doug Maxey wrote:
> Ben,
>
>   First, my bad, the "hack at falcon30..." was a garbled address, not
>   using the same alias file on both machines...  Correct addr here.
>
>   Did not see a way to pass any interesting data, in particular the bus
>   speed via pci_dev.  Do you have a suggestion on that?
>
>   The primary reason to change the generic ide.c was to allow the
>   setting on the append line to turn on the changes.
>
>   Cannot answer regarding the device tree contents.

No, we don't have a good way yet to provide the bus speed per pci
dev in a generic way afaik, though that would be a good addition
I beleive. We could add a ppc-specific pcibios_get_bus_speed()
thingy eventually... If the information is available in the
device-tree, you can peek there too from the driver.

The append line is fine for testing, I don't like the idea of
having to rely on that for proper IDE timings in a product though