2.5 kernel on Power3

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Apr 30 02:24:53 EST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Gary Byers wrote:

> Assuming that there's nothing in the default ppc64 configuration that's
> inappropriate and given the fact that this is known to run on your
> system, it seems reasonable to be suspicious of GCC 3.3.  I'll try to
> build a GCC 3.2 and see if that's a factor.

I'm still not sure whether that's a factor: a kernel built with GCC 3.2
(3.2.3 + latest ppc64 patch) just booted successfully, but there may
have been some operator error involved in building the 3.3 compiler
that failed (failure to set --host and --build correctly when building
under a 64-bit 2.4 kernel.)

I'd tried this several times and would find it hard (but not impossible)
to believe that I botched the GCC 3.3 configuration every time.

If there's evidence that a properly configured GCC 3.3 has trouble
compiling a 2.5 kernel for this platform, I'll try to isolate the
problem and report it; at the moment, it looks like "operator error"
is a plausible explanation for the difficulties I've been having.

Thanks.

Gary Byers
gb at clozure.com