Problem installing redhat on pSeries 610

Tom Gall tom_gall at vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 11 07:24:07 EST 2003

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 02:57 PM, Bernhard Frötschl wrote:

> Hi all,
> We have a Problem installing redhat on pSeries 610, model 6C1
> Just got a SCSI CDROM and connected it to the internal SCSI-bus.
>
> Problem now: The exact syntax to boot from there. I tried commands
> like:
> boot /pci at fef00000/scsi at c/sd at a:0,\ppc\bootinfo.txt
> After that, the cdrom-drive will be accessed (blinking red), but the
> system
> will not boot. After some Minutes (!) the screen flashes and the
> ok-prompt
> appears. And I can try again ...

Hi Bernhard!

Assuming this is the device:

boot /pci at fef00000/scsi at c/sd at a:1,\ppc\bootinfo.txt

Note the change from 0 to 1!  That indicates which "partition" to load
from.

You should also be able to use the multi-boot menu (F1 at bootup
instead of F8)
and choose the device to boot from.

Enjoy!

> I think I have to replace sd at a:0 with something else, but I do not know
> which device-adress the cdrom has.
> Could you help us with the syntax and the meaning of the
> parameters?
>
> Regards,
> Bernhard Frötschl
> 8hertz.com

Tom Gall - [Embedded] [PPC64 | PPC32] Linux
Peace, Love & Linux                   "Where's the kaboom? There was
Technology Center                       supposed to be an earth
shattering
(w) tom_gall at vnet.ibm.com       kaboom! " -- Marvin Martian
(h) tgall at rochcivictheatre.org