Problem installing redhat on pSeries 610

Bernhard Frötschl froetschl at 8hertz.com
Fri Apr 11 05:57:42 EST 2003

Hi all,
We have a Problem installing redhat on pSeries 610, model 6C1
Just got a SCSI CDROM and connected it to the internal SCSI-bus.

Problem now: The exact syntax to boot from there. I tried commands like:
boot /pci at fef00000/scsi at c/sd at a:0,\ppc\bootinfo.txt
After that, the cdrom-drive will be accessed (blinking red), but the system
will not boot. After some Minutes (!) the screen flashes and the ok-prompt
appears. And I can try again ...

I think I have to replace sd at a:0 with something else, but I do not know
which device-adress the cdrom has.
Could you help us with the syntax and the meaning of the
parameters?

Regards,
Bernhard Frötschl
8hertz.com

> Hello all,
>
> thanks for the info. Wouldn't it be possible to load the install
> kernel from the scsi harddisk or over ethernet?

Exactly.   Or via a SCSI CDROM, they aren't that hard to find.

> What would the syntax be like in open firmware for booting over the
> ethernet?

Yes that would work too.

>  Which filesystems does open firmware support?

Not much. Essentially MSDOS (for grabbing off of floppy) and ISO9660.
Yaboot on the other hand has the brain to read ext2, ext3, Reiser and so
on.

>  I've got two scsi harddisk in the p610. One of them contains a AIX
> 5.1 Installation. The other one is empty. Can I just copy the redhat
> install files to the scsi harddisk with AIX installed and boot from
> that? How would the OF syntax look like in this case?

Hmmm  well you'd need to cross build some utilities on AIX, like fdisk,
the e2fsprogs ... but probably not toooo hard in the grand scheme of
things. You might consider looking at the linux from scratch web site.