Preparing toolchain on a Pentium III Redhat 7.0

VAKKALANKA RAO Sridhar SVakkalankarao at covansys.com
Wed Apr 16 00:54:26 EST 2003

Hello,

I acquired a p630 6E4 with a AIX 5.1 (target operating system with no development environment) on it. My goal is to install a PPC64 linux on it. However, progress was completely blocked because AIX 5.1 is not receptive to GNU tools. So I acquired a Pentium III with Redhat 7.0 and used CVS to download latest sources for the kernel, binutils, gcc & glibc - this is with the hope of cross building the toolchain and cross compiling the kernel.

In the url http://penguinppc64.org/toolchain.shtml, the configuration parameters for "binutils" for the first pass state "--target=powerpc-linux". Should this not be "--target=powerpc64-linux" instead?

When I execute "config.guess" on the Pentium III Redhat 7.0, I receive the output "i686-pc-linux-gnu". So, when I set up the configuration parameters for the cross-build, should I replace every occurence of "powerpc-linux" (displayed in the url) to "i686-pc-linux-gnu" and at the same time keep every occurence of "powerpc64-linux" the same?

Is it possible to cross build the PPC64 kernel and toolchain even though the Pentium III is a 32 bit machine?

I really would appreciate an answer
Thanks
Sri