building 64-bit cross compiler

Peter Bergner peter at bergner.org
Wed Oct 9 14:55:33 EST 2002

Viktor Ganich wrote:
: I am trying to build gcc compiler on 64-bit PowerPC
: machine with SLES-8 beta 2 version installed.

If you really need a 64-bit toolchain and you can't get
one built, there's an rpm on the CD's which gets installed
in /opt/cross/.

: I am following instruction published on linux64ppc.org
: site, I was able to config, build and install latest
: binutils and gcc 3.2 (pass one as it is
: mentioned on linuxppc64.org ) after that I built and
: installed glibc.

I _really_ need to fix those directions! :(  Note that the directions
at www.linuxppc64.org recommend you use "--prefix="/opt/ppc64" as a
prefix directory.  This is not strictly correct.  Assuming you used
that as your prefix directory for the binutils and gcc builds, then
you'd want to use "--prefix="/opt/ppc64/powerpc64-linux" for your
glibc build.

What is your goal, just to compile ppc64 kernels ro do you want to
build 64-bit applications as well?  If you only want to build kernels,
you only need to build binutils and gcc.

: Then I built and installed binutils with enable-shared
: option (pass two), but after that I cannot rebuild and
: install gcc again (pass two).

You can skip the second build of binutils (--enable-shared).

: But the main question for me is: do we build native or
: cross compiler during the second pass ? As from log
: files I noticed that I am building native one using
: previously built cross compiler (after pass one).

The 64-bit toolchain (ie, powerpc64-linux-{as,ld,gcc,...}
are all 32-bit cross tools.  So no native binaries.

Peter