APU FPU in Virtex ppc405

John Bonesio john.bonesio at xilinx.com
Fri May 23 11:09:08 EST 2008

My understanding is that with the fpu on the ppc405 (not ppc440), the
processor clock rate had to be reduced for the fpu to work. This ended
up negating much of the performance benefits of using the fpu.

I don't know the specifics offhand, but Xilinx answer records can be
searched. Hopefully I'm wrong, and there can still be a benefit to using
the ppc405 fpu.

- John

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 19:06 -0400, David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
>    Were the issues associated with getting the Xilinx Floating point APU
> working with Linux completely resolved ?
>     Is there a git tree or patch collection with the appropriate patches
> etc ?

John Bonesio
Commercial Linux Solutions
john.bonesio at xilinx.com