PPC to PowerPC Migration

vb vb at vsbe.com
Thu Jun 12 01:33:57 EST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Jon Loeliger <jdl at freescale.com> wrote:
> vb wrote:
>>
>> I recently ported two platforms (8245 and 8541) from ppc tree in
>> earlier 2.6 versions into powerpc tree in 2.6.25. It is amazing how
>> little the device tree contents are described, a lot of things
>> required reverse engineering of the kernel code to understand the
>> meaning of some numbers in the  tree.
>>
>> I am also willing to contribute into a document describing this
>> transition, please keep me in the loop,
>>
>> regards,
>> Vadim
>

> Well, perhaps as a starting point you could tell us
> which things required reverse engineering or what you
> were not able to find in a document?

wow, where do I begin here :-)

my favorite was interrupt-map in PCI section:  A typical value would
look like this:

                interrupt-map = <

                        /* IDSEL 0x10 */
                        08000 0 0 1 &mpic 0 1
                        08000 0 0 2 &mpic 1 1
                        08000 0 0 3 &mpic 2 1
                        08000 0 0 4 &mpic 3 1

                        [ repeated per IDSEL ]

I don't see 'interrupt-map' mentioned anywhere in the ./Documentation
tree - it took me a while to find out what these numbers actually
meant.

cheers,
Vadim