Problem with cuImage Linux entry from old U-boot

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jul 23 04:05:06 EST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 03:39:55PM -0500, Stephen Horton wrote:
> I have made great strides with help from this mailing list and its
> archives. I now have a compiled cuImage ready to boot from my older
> working u-boot 1.1.2. I now seem to be stuck at the kernel entry point.
> I'm not sure if I'm trying to jump into the kernel at the wrong address,
> or if I have a serial console issue that prevents me from seeing anymore
> progress.

Most likely the latter, or some other issue that prevents the kernel from
booting to the point where the serial console functions.

> Linux/PowerPC load: ip=bootp root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=/opt/gentoo
> console=ttyMM0,9600n8
> Finalizing device tree... flat tree at 0x7423a0
>

> ------
>

> If I run 'nm' on my elf image, I expect to find some entry point address
> that corresponds to 0x7423a0, but this is not the case.

Why would you expect that?  It's a dynamically allocated chunk of memory
that holds the device tree that is passed to the kernel.  It's not an entry
point; the entry point to the kernel is zero.

-Scott