MPC5200B SPI codec error when there is a heavy ethernet traffic.

Txema Lopez tlopez at aotek.es
Wed Jan 16 03:44:12 EST 2008

Hi all,

We have a MPC5200B based custom board running a 2.4.25 Denx linux
kernel. We use the PSC6 in SPI-codec mode to exchange some bytes
periodically in full-duplex with a peripheral.

In 'normal' conditions this communication runs fine. But when we start
sending packets over the Ethernet as a background activity, we see on
the oscilloscope that one of the SPI transfers is interrupted. Not only
that the SPI clock stops, something that could happen in the case that
the transmission Fifo is empty, or the reception Fifo is full, but that
the chip select actually goes high for an instant, causing the
peripheral to abort the communication.

We have reproduced the same bug in a Lite5200B using the spi-dev driver
and a user application, so it seams it's not a problem of our hardware.

The problem only arises if there is some heavy Ethernet traffic (a big
file ftp transfer or a big file copy by nfs) , so we think  the error is
related with the Bestcomm activity. We have contacted freescale to check
if it's a microprocessor bug and they are looking into it. But we think
it could be also a bug in the Bestcomm programming of the FEC tasks.
Could be it possible? At this point, we really need some help. Any clue
will be welcomed.

Best regards,

Txema