ML403 gigabit ethernet bandwidth - 2.6 kernel

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 04:48:19 EST 2007

Dear Mohammad,
There are some parameters which could be adjusted to improve the
performance. They are: TX and RX_Threshold TX and RX_waitbound. In my
system, we use TX_Threshold=16 and Rx_Threshold=8 and both waitbound=1.

Also Jumbo frame of 8982 could be enable.

Try those hints and share your improvement with us.

BR
Ming

PPC<linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org>, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca>
>Subject: ML403 gigabit ethernet bandwidth - 2.6 kernel
>Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:19:12 +0000
>

>Dear all,
>
>Recently we did a set of tests on performance of virtex 4FX hard TEMAC
module using ML403

>we studied all of the posts here carefully: these are the system
characteristics;

>Board : ML403
>EDK    : EDK9.1SP2
>Hard TEMAC version and PLTEMAC version are both 3.0.a
>PPC clock frequency :  300MHz
>Kernel : 2.6.21-rc7 , downloaded from grant's git tree some thing near one
week ago
>DMA type: 3 (sg dma)
>DRE : enabled for TX and RX, (2)
>CSUM offload is enabled for both of TX and RX
>tx and rx fifo sizes : 131072 bits
>
>the board comes up over NFS root file system completely and without any
problems.

>PC system used for these tests is : CPU P4 Dual Core, 3.4GHz , 2Gigabytes
memory, Dual gigabit ethernet port, running linux 2.6.21.3
>We have tested the PC system band width and it can easily reach 966mbits/s
when connected to the same PC. ( using the same cross cable used for ml403
test)