ML403 gigabit ethernet bandwidth - 2.6 kernel

Mohammad Sadegh Sadri mamsadegh at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:19:12 EST 2007

Dear all,

Recently we did a set of tests on performance of virtex 4FX hard TEMAC module using ML403

we studied all of the posts here carefully: these are the system characteristics;

Board : ML403
EDK    : EDK9.1SP2
Hard TEMAC version and PLTEMAC version are both 3.0.a
PPC clock frequency :  300MHz
Kernel : 2.6.21-rc7 , downloaded from grant's git tree some thing near one week ago
DMA type: 3 (sg dma)
DRE : enabled for TX and RX, (2)
CSUM offload is enabled for both of TX and RX
tx and rx fifo sizes : 131072 bits

the board comes up over NFS root file system completely and without any problems.

PC system used for these tests is : CPU P4 Dual Core, 3.4GHz , 2Gigabytes memory, Dual gigabit ethernet port, running linux 2.6.21.3
We have tested the PC system band width and it can easily reach 966mbits/s when connected to the same PC. ( using the same cross cable used for ml403 test)

Netperf is compiled with TCP SEND FILE enabled, ( -DHAVE_SENDFILE)

(from board to PC)
netperf -t TCP_SENDFILE -H 10.10.10.250 -F /boot/zImage.elf -- -m 16384 -s 87380 -S 87380

the measured bandwidth for this test was just 40.66Mbits.
It is also true for netperf from PC to board.

we do not have any more idea about what we should do to improve the bandwidth.
any help or ideas is appreciated...