regarding kgdb in ppc

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Tue Jan 23 19:49:17 EST 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:30:57 +0530
sudheer wrote:

> Vijay Sampath wrote:
> > Sorry no idea. The configuration and options for kgdb are different
> > in my architecture. In make menuconfig, under "Kernel Hacking', I
> > enable kgdb and choose its serial port (ttyS0 or ttyS1). After this
> > if I just pass a string with "kgdb" in it in the commandline, it
> > halts early on. Looks like kgdb function is different in your
> > architecture. You will have to read the code that implements your
> > kgdb setup. Clearly it is not happy with the arguments you are
> > passing it, as evident in the output.
> >
> > BTW I am using Linux kernel version 2.6.16 on a IBM405EP board. kgdb
> > breakpoint is setup in setup_arch() in arch/ppc/kernel/setup.c.
> > Note I also enabled CONFIG_WANT_EARLY_SERIAL in the processor
> > configuration. Not sure if this is important.
> >
> In my setup i have one serial port on the target(MPC8540) and one on
> host(x86). The document(kgdb_docu_full-2.4.pdf) by default considers
> having two serial ports(two on target and two on host).

To be correct, usually one serial is for serial console, the other-for kgdb. Yet you can either disable serial console, or
have its output into kgdb. host requires only one serial to be tied on ppc_85xx-gdb.

> Can anyone plz guide me how to proceed when i have only one serial
> port . ?

having one serial is not a comfy case for serial kgdb.

> I want to know the initilization steps for estrablishing the serial
> communication between kgdb(in target) and gdb on host. I tried one or
> two ways but couldnot succeed.

I'd consider kgdboe - it works pretty well with 8540 gianfar (or at least used to work for me so tinkering might be trivial).