regarding kgdb in ppc

sudheer urwithsudheer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 17:00:57 EST 2007

Vijay Sampath wrote:
> Sorry no idea. The configuration and options for kgdb are different in
> my architecture. In make menuconfig, under "Kernel Hacking', I enable
> kgdb and choose its serial port (ttyS0 or ttyS1). After this if I just
> pass a string with "kgdb" in it in the commandline, it halts early on.
> Looks like kgdb function is different in your architecture. You will
> have to read the code that implements your kgdb setup. Clearly it is
> not happy with the arguments you are passing it, as evident in the
> output.
>
> BTW I am using Linux kernel version 2.6.16 on a IBM405EP board. kgdb
> breakpoint is setup in setup_arch() in arch/ppc/kernel/setup.c. Note I
> also enabled CONFIG_WANT_EARLY_SERIAL in the processor configuration.
> Not sure if this is important.

In my setup i have one serial port on the target(MPC8540) and one on
host(x86). The document(kgdb_docu_full-2.4.pdf) by default considers
having two serial ports(two on target and two on host).

Can anyone plz guide me how to proceed when i have only one serial port . ?

I want to know the initilization steps for estrablishing the serial
communication between kgdb(in target) and gdb on host. I tried one or
two ways but couldnot succeed.

Thanks
Sudheer