Who's the maintainer for the freescale MPC8349ITX board?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Fri Jan 19 07:02:19 EST 2007

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:

>>> anything in the source.  I don't want to clutter up the mailing
>>> list with
>>> newbie questions so I'd like to get in touch with the person who

I'm the maintainer.

> Well, okay.  I hate taking up bandwidth for something that's no doubt
> trivial to most of you, but here goes.  I'm trying to bring up the
> 2.6.19.1 kernel using u-boot 1.1.6 on the MPC8349ITX board and I'm having

1.1.6 does not support the MPC8349ITX.  Try 1.2.0.  My name is listed as the
maintainer for this board in the U-Boot MAINTAINERS file.

> problems with the open firmware part of it (which I am TOTALLY new to).
> Short version, I don't think the *.dts file for this board is correct and
> I'm wondering if anyone might have a newer version or good documentation
> as to the formatting of the *.dts files?
>
> Long version: While booting the kernel it seems to hang in the do_div()
> call on line 933 of .../arch/powerpc/kernel/time.c (yes I know it's not
> really a call but inline assembly) because ppc_tb_freq is zero.  The
> get_freq() calls in generic_calibrate_decr() find the 'timebase-frequency'
> and 'clock-frequency' entries in the device tree, but the value is zero
> and thus ppc_tb_freq is zero.
>
> Digging through the u-boot code, I found ft_setup() which is supposed to
> add some stuff to the device tree passed in on the bootm command line. One
> of the things it's supposed to do is fill in the 'timebase-frequency'
> portion of the device tree.  When it calls ft_get_prop() to find the
> 'timebase-frequency' node it passes in the path
> '/cpus/PowerPC,8349 at 0/timebase-frequency' as what it's searching for, but
> what ft_get_prop() finds is
> '///cpus//cpus/PowerPC,8349 at 0/timebase-frequency', which of course doesn't
> match, so it returns NULL to ft_setup() and the 'timebase-frequency' never
> gets updated before being passed to the kernel.

This sounds like a generic bug in the U-Boot OF code, but I'll check it out.
The DTS for the 8349ITX is defined just like the other DTSes.

> So I'm guessing the my problem is either the *.dts file or dtc, but I'm

Hmmm, it could be the DTC.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale