Problem compiling sequoia using DENX kernel. Xenomai-patch required?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 4 10:08:16 EST 2007

In message <200712022141.36467.niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org> you wrote:

> I tried with (tags DENX-v2.6.23.9, DENX-v.2.6.23, master) to build a kernel
> for the sequoia board.
> I am using ELDK 4.1. I did a
> git checkout -b copy-master master
> make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx- CFLAGS=-g sequoia_defconfig
> make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx- CFLAGS=-g zImage

The ARCH=powerpc is the "interesting" part here.

> First I stumbled about problem compiling arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx*.c
> file with errors like
> arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx-pci.c: In function 'ppc4xx_setup_pci':
> arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx-pci.c:62: sorry, unimplemented: inlining
> failed in call to 'pci_cfg_out': function body not available
> arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx-pci.c:98: sorry, unimplemented: called from
> here

There are many moving targets in the ARCH=powerpc hemisphere for 4xx
systems...

> I thought that denx compiled images for the sequoia using 2.6.23.

Yes, we do. But stable support is only available  with  the  arch/ppc
tree yet.

> Do they only work after having applied the Xenomai patch? Because if I apply

No.

> the Xenomai patch, the kernel compiles cleanly. In this case  I think it

That's just lucky coincidence...

> would be nice to get somewhere a hint (or did I missed it somewhere) that
> this is a requirement. I lost quite a few hours as I wanted to first compile
> a "normal" kernel and afterwars apply the xenomai patch.

I'm afraid "normal" here still means arch/ppc  -  hopefully  for  not
long any more. Note: a matching Xenomai patch for arch/ppc will be in
Xenomai 2.4 when it comes out in a few days.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Good manners are the settled  medium  of  social,  as  specie  is  of
commercial, life; returns are equally expected for both.
           - Lord Chesterfield _Letters to his Son_, 25 December 1753