Problem compiling sequoia using DENX kernel. Xenomai-patch required?

Niklaus Giger niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org
Mon Dec 3 07:41:35 EST 2007

Hi

I tried with (tags DENX-v2.6.23.9, DENX-v.2.6.23, master) to build a kernel
for the sequoia board.
I am using ELDK 4.1. I did a
git checkout -b copy-master master
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx- CFLAGS=-g sequoia_defconfig
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx- CFLAGS=-g zImage

First I stumbled about problem compiling arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx*.c
file with errors like
arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx-pci.c: In function 'ppc4xx_setup_pci':
arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx-pci.c:62: sorry, unimplemented: inlining
failed in call to 'pci_cfg_out': function body not available
arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc4xx-pci.c:98: sorry, unimplemented: called from
here

After applying the at attached patch I got farther till
  CC      kernel/softirq.o
kernel/softirq.c: In function 'raise_softirq':
kernel/softirq.c:319: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call
to 'raise_softirq_irqoff': function body not available
kernel/softirq.c:342: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
make[2]: *** [kernel/softirq.o] Fehler 1

I thought that denx compiled images for the sequoia using 2.6.23.
Do they only work after having applied the Xenomai patch? Because if I apply
the Xenomai patch, the kernel compiles cleanly. In this case  I think it
would be nice to get somewhere a hint (or did I missed it somewhere) that
this is a requirement. I lost quite a few hours as I wanted to first compile
a "normal" kernel and afterwars apply the xenomai patch.

Any clarifikation would be appreciated.

Best regards

--
Niklaus Giger