Semaphores in eldk4.1

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Sat Dec 1 05:10:14 EST 2007

HI Stuart,

Stuart Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been suing the eldk4.1 tool chain for a few months now and have
> not not encountered any problems with building until now. I build for
> two slightly different archs, ppc_85xx and ppx_82xx.
>
> The problem I have come up against is related to some of the semaphore
> functions in semaphore.h, namely sem_wait, sem_post. This was originally
> noticed in a third party driver I am porting from one board to another
> but a small test program has shown the same results.
>
> Calls to these functions on the ppc_82xx platform return -1 with an
> error code of 38, in this case meaning  ENOSYS (not implemented). On the
> ppc_85xx the same program executes fine, thus I conclude that it is
> specific to the libc-2.3.5 for ppc_82xx. Has anyone else come across
> this problem, I did find one thread but there was no conclusion listed.

These work fine for me with ppc_6xx architecture and ELDK 4.1, although
they didn't with ELDK 4.0. In that case, I was getting ENOSYS on
sem_open() and sem_init(). Do these functions return 0 for you? I assume
you're using a kernel that supports POSIX semaphores (I think that
started at 2.6.12) and that you're using the glibc version of ELDK and
not ulibc.