ML403 / ALSA driver for AC97 Controller

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Aug 6 00:19:21 EST 2007

On 8/5/07, Joachim Förster <mls.JOFT at gmx.de> wrote:
> tag v2.6.22 (Linus)
> branch master (Linus)
> branch virtex-dev (your v2.6.22 based branch)
>
> I had to make different patches, because one version didn't apply
> cleanly to the other branches, due to differences in a Kconfig file e.g.
> and above all in the virtex_devices.c file.
>
> Now, my question is: Which one should I post to the mailing list? (after
> testing these patches - I haven't got a chance yet to test them on real
> hardware - compilation is ok).

Post the one against master, ultimately that's where the code needs to
go.  I'll take care of any conflicts with my tree, and v2.6.22 is
irrelevant (at least as far as getting things into mainline is
concerned).  :-)

> One more thing: I made two parts, one patch adds the driver and the
> other one makes the registration with the platform bus. Is this ok? (I
> saw this scheme in your virtex-dev branch.)

Absolutely!  Splitting it up into logical changes is the right way to do it.

> Meanwhile, I had a _very_ short look into ASoC ... and I don't really
> know ... My driver already uses the AC97 Layer of ALSA, so in some way
> the codec is already separated from the controller. Xilinx' AC97
> Controller Reference does have some very bad impact on the codec which
> forced me to implement codec register shadowing ... hmmmm, I have to
> look at it (ASoC) again - as soon as there is more (free)time ...

Heh, okay.  I haven't dug into ASoC either, so I can't make too many comments.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.