Still trying to get a stable 2.6.20.4 running on 8349ITX eval board

Ed Swierk eswierk at arastra.com
Thu Apr 12 10:35:59 EST 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 13:47:55 Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> Posted a cry for help a few days ago on this issue ;)> .  Got a couple of
> answers that didn't get me any farther so I'm on another fishing
> expedition.  Basic set up is as follows; MPC8349ITX eval board; 2.6.20.4
> kernel; a ubuntu/dapper FS via NFS.  The problem seems to be a random
> lock-up in either a DSI exception (0x300), a program exception (0x700) or
> a DTLB miss on store exception (0x1200).  I'm sure it's not truly random
> (I'm sure there's probably only a single underlying problem), but it's
> random in how it manifests.  When trying to mount the root FS via NFS, it
> always successfully reaches the point where it runs "/sbin/init" in
> main.c, but which script it fails in varies and it never gets to a login.

I spent about 8 hours yesterday tracking down a problem on a similar board
(Embedded Planet 8343M) booting Fedora 6 via NFS. Linux was getting a bit
farther along than it is for you--I got a shell and could run python--but the
CPU kept locking up somewhere near 0x600 or 0x1200, without a peep from the
kernel. It usually occurred after a lot of memory allocation activity, so I
tried tracing the out-of-memory code in the kernel, but then found I could
reproduce the problem with the mtest command in U-Boot.

The problem turned out to be an incorrect DDR SDRAM configuration setting in
U-Boot for my board (which has no SPD EEPROM, so it's U-Boot's job to
configure the memory controller). I was using CSCONFIG_ROW_BIT_12 rather than
CSCONFIG_ROW_BIT_13 in CFG_DDR_CONFIG, which apparently affected the way the
CPU accesses and refreshes the DRAM. I was pretty shocked that Linux was able
to boot at all with a configuration bug like this.

Anyway, it might be worth double-checking the DDR SDRAM code in U-Boot to make
sure it's doing the right thing for the parts on your board.

--Ed