Still trying to get a stable 2.6.20.4 running on 8349ITX eval board

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Fri Apr 13 01:36:58 EST 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:47:55 -0700
Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Posted a cry for help a few days ago on this issue ;)> .  Got a couple of
> answers that didn't get me any farther so I'm on another fishing
> expedition.  Basic set up is as follows; MPC8349ITX eval board; 2.6.20.4
> kernel; a ubuntu/dapper FS via NFS.  The problem seems to be a random
> lock-up in either a DSI exception (0x300), a program exception (0x700) or
> a DTLB miss on store exception (0x1200).  I'm sure it's not truly random
> (I'm sure there's probably only a single underlying problem), but it's
> random in how it manifests.  When trying to mount the root FS via NFS, it
> always successfully reaches the point where it runs "/sbin/init" in
> main.c, but which script it fails in varies and it never gets to a login.
>
> I've tried passing "init=/bin/sh" on the command line and I can reach a sh
> prompt, but it doesn't take long before it locks up.  I can do a "find .
> -name '*gcc*'" about four times before it stops.  I have a BDI2K hooked up
> so I know where it's stopping (most commonly in the DTLB miss mentioned
> above), but backtrace from GDB gets me nothing, and SRR0 and SRR1 don't
> contain any useful information (frequently they're both zero).  I expect
> it may be an interaction with the BDI, tho I'm not sure.
>
> I've also tried a couple of other file systems (one right off the CD that
> ships with the eval board and the latest from ELDK) as well as pulling
> Kumar's powerpc kernel tree.  All possible combinations of these kernels
> and file systems fail to run for any period of time.
>
> Long winded way to get around to my questions (sorry :(  ):
> 1) Can any one point me to good references in using the BDI2K to find my
> way back from exceptions?
> 2) I assume someone (Kumar?) has gotten some combination of kernel/FS to
> boot and run on this box.  What combination is that?

It worked for me with both MontaVista and ELDK rfs for 6xx.

Your problem looks very much like odd DDR or memctl misconfiguration early in u-boot.
Please try upgrading your firmware with the latest u-boot from git tree at denx.de. Kernel from Paul Mackerras (powerpc.git) is also a good thing to give a try.

Also, there is Vitesse switch on this target, which should be initialized(Normally with vendor-shipped image you'll figure out how by print thirdp_init. Starting kernel without that may result in some instability too.

Hope it helps.

--
Sincerely,
Vitaly