Using Linux 2.6.19 with Xilinx ML405

Andrei Konovalov akonovalov at ru.mvista.com
Wed Apr 4 03:27:12 EST 2007

Hi Peter,

CONFIG_PPC_OCP and ppc_sys_platform_devices related problems are
due to the kernel.org tree stopped using the OCP infrastructure in favor
of ppc_sys stuff (originally created for Freescale 8xx/8xxx SOCs).

What BSP vesion have you selected in the xps?
As far as I can tell, linux_2_6_v1_00_a uses
the approach similar to 2.6 kernel based MontaVista LSP:
"manual" registration of all the devices in arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/virtex.c,
static int __init xilinx_platform_init(void). The only exception
are 16x50 compatible UARTs, that rely on struct ocp_def core_ocp[] etc.

At the moment I am doing some rework of our code (includes rebasing the patches
against a more-or-less recent kernel.org tree). My plan is to drop
both PPC_OCP and ppc_sys, and register all the devices inside xilinx_platform_init().
For Xilinx'es using ppc_sys adds no value but some unneeded complexity.
And it seems ppc_sys is no longer used/supported after Freescale 8xx/8xxx SOCs
moved to arc/powerpc?
Having all the device registration (and references to xparameters.h as well!) in one
place IMHO would make it easier to move Xilinx based boards to arc/powerpc
(someday).

Attached is the patch to get rid of both XILINX_OCP and ppc_sys for
the Xilinx boards. With this patch applied it should be not so difficult
to add the relevant entries to arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/virtex.c by
copying them from the EDK generated linux_2_6_v1_00_a BSP.
The patch is against 2.6.21-rc4 if it matters.

Thanks,
Andrei