Using Linux 2.6.19 with Xilinx ML405

Peter Mendham petermendham at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 23:09:42 EST 2007

Dear all,

I am attempting to get a 2.6.19 kernel running on an ML405.  In the
spirit of walking before I start to run, I have setup a very simple
system with a 10/100 MAC, a UARTlite and the SystemACE controller (other
than that, my EDK project has the DDR RAM,  some BRAM, an interrupt
controller and the usual gubbins to get a system to work).  I am having
some serious issues just getting the thing to compile so I was hoping to
pick the brains of this list.  I would appreciate any tips on where I am
going wrong.

First thing I did was to patch the kernel with the BSP from my EDK
project (maybe this is my first mistake).  Several files #include
config.h - I changed this to autoconf.h.  The ocp_def structure
definition was being ignored because CONFIG_PPC_OCP was not defined - I
altered some Kconfig files to ensure that when and an ML403 is selected
XILINX_OCP is defined, and when that is defined PPC_OCP is also
defined.  That solved that problem but left me with a missing definition
for ppc_sys_platform_devices which was not present in virtex.c.  I added
one but am a bit stuck as to what this should contain.  Another one I
have seen lists a UART (which xilinx_ml403.c seems to depend upon).  But
this is for a 8250-type UART.  How can I configure this for a UARTlite?
Do I need to add an entry for the SystemACE?  I have already added an
entry for the EMAC.

Any hints/experience would be gratefully received.

TIA,
-- Peter

believed to be clean.