Using Linux 2.6.19 with Xilinx ML405

Peter Mendham petermendham at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 21:51:36 EST 2007

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your reply
> CONFIG_PPC_OCP and ppc_sys_platform_devices related problems are due
> to the kernel.org tree stopped using the OCP infrastructure in favor
> of ppc_sys stuff (originally created for Freescale 8xx/8xxx SOCs).
Excellent - thanks for explaining this.  I had wondered whether this was
the case but didn't want to do anything drastic without understanding
what was going on.
> What BSP vesion have you selected in the xps? As far as I can tell,
> linux_2_6_v1_00_a uses the approach similar to 2.6 kernel based
> MontaVista LSP: "manual" registration of all the devices in
> arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/virtex.c, static int __init
> xilinx_platform_init(void). The only exception are 16x50 compatible
> UARTs, that rely on struct ocp_def core_ocp[] etc.
I had selected linux_2_6_v1_00_a also, I just wasn't sure how "current"
some of the generated code was.
> At the moment I am doing some rework of our code (includes rebasing
> the patches against a more-or-less recent kernel.org tree). My plan is
> to drop both PPC_OCP and ppc_sys, and register all the devices inside
> xilinx_platform_init(). For Xilinx'es using ppc_sys adds no value but
> some unneeded complexity. And it seems ppc_sys is no longer
> used/supported after Freescale 8xx/8xxx SOCs moved to arc/powerpc?
> Having all the device registration (and references to xparameters.h as
> well!) in one place IMHO would make it easier to move Xilinx based
> boards to arc/powerpc (someday).
OK, that is also good to know.  I buy your argument, so I'd like to use
the "manual" approach.  However, when I tried compiling there was some
code that expected a ppc_sys_platform_devices (and a ppc_sys_specs).  Am
I right in thinking that your patch sorts this out?
> Attached is the patch to get rid of both XILINX_OCP and ppc_sys for
> the Xilinx boards. With this patch applied it should be not so
> difficult to add the relevant entries to
> arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/virtex.c by copying them from the EDK generated
> linux_2_6_v1_00_a BSP. The patch is against 2.6.21-rc4 if it matters.
Brilliant!  Thanks.  The code your patch produces expects there to be an
8250 compatible UART around.  What happens if I only have a UARTlite?
What do I need to fill in to a platform_device structure for a
UARTlite?  I have just moved to 2.6.20 kernel in the hope of using the
mainline uartlite driver - was this a stupid thing to do?  Do you know
if I can use it for early serial in the same way as an 8250?

Many thanks for your help,

-- Peter

believed to be clean.