plb_temac, ML403, linux 2.4.26, EDK 7.1

robert corley rdcorle at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 02:14:51 EST 2006

Some background:
    ML403 devel board
    EDK 7.1
    compilation of reference design xapp902, modified to use linux and without loopback
    use of linux_2_4_devel obtained from montavista via rsync

I am trying to use the plb_temac rather than the ll_temac.  In the long run, I'd prefer to stick with linux 2.4.  In addition, I will need to get both embedded EMAC's up and running, but first I just wanna get the xapp902 working.  Also, I will need gigE support.

So, right now I am trying to get the plb_temac to compile and get errors about the defines XPAR_XTEMAC_* within the linux directories ../drivers/net/xilinx_enet.  I see that the edk gets the defines within the xparameters.h file of the xapp902 project.  I also see that my C:\EDK\sw\ThirdParty\bsp\linux_mvl31_v1_01_a\drivers don't have anything for a plb_temac.

Q:    Is my error related to an incorrect setup of the linux or with the EDK?

Q:    t is stated that the plb_temac drivers are in EDK 8.1.  Can I stick
with 7.1 or must I ugprade?

Q:    Where in the linux tree should I look for the xtemac
stuff?  Is this what the EDK pushes on to the tree or is it released
within the MVL distro?

Q    Based on posts by David and Ming, it
appears that I must use xilinx_gige to get up to gigE speeds.  Will the
plb_temac support this data rate and, if so, is this a transparent
support or do I need to go the route suggested to Ming and
overwrite files in xilinx_enet?

R. Corley