booting 2.6 kernel on ML403

Ameet Patil ammubhai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 18:27:30 EST 2006

Hi Pradeep,

Pradeep Sampath wrote:
> Hello Ameet/Ming,
>
> First of all really appreciate your inputs on this...
> Problem 1 :
> I was using the factory shipped compact flash as is which comes with a
> DOS FAT16 partition and a linux 83 partition with ext3 filesystem.
> I tried it on 2 factory shipped CFs and its the same behavior - . When
> i plug-in the CF card reader to the linux box it always reads it as
> "sda" and in the linux2.6.17.1/Documentation/devices.txt - sda is the
> device file for SCSI disk devices. Wonerding how you guys configured
> the root option as "/dev/xsa".
xsa and sda are nothing but the device name registered by the driver. It
is not related to whether the device is a SCSI or not. Since I wrote the
SysAce driver, I decided to name it as xsa (as opposed to the original
Monta Vista xsysace). Thus, all the partitions on this device will be
named xsa1 for the first partition, xsa2 for the second and so on.

When you access your CF card in your Linux PC, the driver names the
device as sda. Thats all... theres no much difference. Hope you got the
point.

cheers,
-Ameet