Disable data cache on mpc5200

Daniel Schnell daniel.schnell at marel.com
Wed Oct 4 02:19:31 EST 2006

Hi,

we have troubles with our 256 MBytes DDR SDRAM on our mpc5200B custom
board.

On this processor we have four chips, 64 MBytes each connected via
chipselects CS0 & CS1.
When running a specific memory test under u-boot the CS1 connected RAM
seems also to work fine (memcpy, memcmp, etc.). But U-Boot disables the
data cache as it partly boot-strapped from there. So it will not use the
DDR burst mode.

Now when booting our 2.4.25 Denx originated Linux Kernel (which we
fetched via git a few weeks ago) the data cache is on and we get into
trouble when booting Linux (either signal 11 or signal 4 at different
places, highly timing dependant). If we setup only the RAM connected via
CS0, we don't have any troubles. So I do not suspect Linux to be the
cause of the trouble.

It would be helpful to see if this trouble is related to the DDR burst
mode. Is there any possibility to modify the Linux Kernel not to use the
data cache of the mpc5200 or to disable it, so we do not use the burst
mode ?

A maybe stupid question: the CS1 can be at the same time a GPIO,
depending on the mpc5200B setup. Could there be the possibility that the
Linux kernel sets it up differently inside some driver initialization
routine, so the setup which has been done inside U-Boot will be altered
afterwards ?

Best regards,

Daniel.