IMAP_ADDR on PPC 8xx

Walter L. Wimer III walt.wimer at timesys.com
Thu May 11 06:19:22 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 13:45 -0400, Dan Malek wrote:
> > This may be fine for non-Linux purposes, but it looks like we need
> > to spread some gospel to Freescale regarding the correct IMMR
> > address for U-Boot / Linux....
>
> I think you better be pointing fingers at the clueless person that
> provided the software you have, as it didn't come from Freescale nor
> any of the public U-Boot sources.

My sincerest apologies to Freescale.  Upon further research, it appears
that it was another TimeSys engineer (who has since moved on to another
job) who built and installed U-Boot on our MPC885ADS board.  Strangely,
it appears that he started with the community U-Boot 1.1.3 and then
added a patch to change the IMMR value (plus a few other things).  I'm
not sure why.  He's a very bright guy, so I'm very puzzled....

Anyway, mystery solved.

Again, my sincerest apologies to Freescale.

I built the community U-Boot 1.1.4 and flashed it onto our board.  Linux
2.6.16.11 now boots much farther than before (I'm now getting printk()
output).  The kernel is hitting a new problem now, but I suspect it may
be related to the TLB code that Marcello has discussed recently.  I'm
going to go look at that patch next.  :-)

> Thanks.
>
>         -- Dan

Thanks again to everyone!!!

Walt Wimer